Wow. This is a tough one. Well, honestly not tough but a very direct question. Although, I do feel that I have grown in some areas of my education through specific courses taken at AI, I do not feel that the school has properly prepared me for my major and more specifically I definitely do not feel the education is equal to the cost. My lack of preperation for my field is a direct reflection on the school and if given the chance to do over, I'm confident in my choice to pursue my education at an other institution.
I feel that AI is properly preparing me for graduation. This is because they are trying to teach us industry standards and industry procedures and using the actual equipment that the industry professionals use. In order to more assist me I think that the school should have more advanced equipment in the sewing labs, like a welt pocket machine and a binding machine. I think that we should not be able to use them until we have learned and mastered how to do it the hard way, but some of those machines are very technical and hard to use. I also feel that in some cases the teachers should be a little harder on us because when we are in the real world and have an industry job it would not be ok for us to turn in work a week late, we would get fired. The teachers should also be more critical of our work in the beginning, instead of always saying that it works because we met the requirements of the assignment. On the other hand I do believe we have quite a work load and that it is not easy to go here and be successful, it stills requires an immense amount of work as it is.
I do feel that AI prepares students well for graduation. I love that we have a career services department to help us find jobs. Not many schools have this, and it's one of the reasons I made the decision to come to this school. The only thing I would improve is communication from an academic adviser. Being a web major, my academic adviser quit last quarter. I do have a replacement, but not someone with a web background. I would love to have an adviser with a web background to help prepare me for graduation.
Yes and no. Yes because we learn things that are very specific to our major and the industry. However I feel as though many of the teachers need to be harder on us & not let us get away with late assignments, etc. Also, teachers to be harder on critiques. All throughout my freshman, sophomore, and junior years I was told my projects were great & this and that, however when Portfolio classes came I had to redo many of my projects because they were not up to par. This was very frustrating.
Upon graduation I want to be able to look back and say that I got my moneys worth, however I do not feel I have obtained as much as I feel I should have from my education. I do however feel that it isn't all the schools responsibility to make students aware of what they should do to get jobs, but I feel when applying to those jobs the individual finds the student doesn't have good enough work. The problem of not having enough industry ready work is in my mind the schools fault. A lot of teachers look for quantity and complement of work rather then quality, almost inferring that it is acceptable to have not quality work as log as the required parts are done.
To combat this problem I feel the teachers should be willing to fail more students and or assign less projects and the the time to have stages of correction before the final review.
I believe my graphic design instructors are preparing me specifically for the graphic design aspects of my future career. Although I think some teachers can be too nice when it comes to critiques. The only way we can get better is if we have good constructive criticism. It's also the students responsibility to be open to the criticism. The teacher can only tell us so much and then it takes so initiative and motivation on our part as students to put our knowledge and skills to work. I think what the Art Institute does lack in is offering classes dealing with the business side of our creative careers. I think it's important to have knowledge of this especially if we want to run our own business someday.
This is a tough one to consider. When I first started I didn't realize that hand drawn animation is a dying art and 3D animation has taken it's spot. That's what I came to Art Institute to learn after seeing many Disney movies. After three years I've come to enjoy 3D and my teachers have helped me grow and have prepared me for my future. I wish however that Art Institute had more business related class to help further our education of the business world.
I feel like AI is preparing me for graduation and for my future in a way. When I first came to AI, I wasn't knowledgeable about a lot of the industry terms, the designers, how the business works, etc., so I do feel AI has given me a great deal of knowledge in that regard. However, I do feel that in classes we are often off topic and that we waste time in classes that we can be learning something pertinent to us. A start to better preparing us would be more internship availabilities and possibly jobs lined up prior to graduation, rather than telling us when it's time to graduate that they will look for jobs for us then...
I feel that AI has prepared me for graduation and for my future. There was a lot I didn't know when I came to AI that I know now, but there is also still a lot I don't know. I've learned a lot of technique while at AI and I feel that is important when it comes time to show your skills to an employer. As a graphic designer, I feel that some of our projects become rather repetitive. We could try to move into something different that is still important for us to be learning.
Do you feel that AI is properly preparing you for graduation and your future? What do you feel that they could be doing more to assist you?
I feel like AI has prepared me for graduation. I'm sure there is a lot of things that I haven't learned as well. In Fashion and Retail Management, you learn a lot about learning how to build a business. Some of the topics we discuss aren't relevant to what we should be learning. What they can do to assist us is send us internships and job opportunities in Indiana and other states as they are posted. That would help us a lot.
Yes I feel AI has prepared me for my graduation that will be require of me in the future. I also feel I had grown as a student as well as a professional with my skill level. However I feel AI has not provided me with more job opportunities and internship lead that will help me in my future career.
I feel this school lacks in trying to help the professional students. I have struggled to take classes because I need to ask off work to come to class. I work has a designer and lose quite a bit of time while coming to class. There are about four classes that you must wait to take till the end and all are offered only during the day. They were never offered at night. I think that affects those trying to get an early jump on their career.
I feel that the fashion classes have prepared me for my future career. The fashion classes cover almost any potential job position in fashion, from construction and pattern making to tech packs and illustrations. I think it would be beneficial if the tuition was lower. The tuition should match the income of degrees, and I feel that the tuition fees are much higher than average fashion design incomes. It can take up to 20 years to pay off student loans, not to mention cost of living, housing, and transportation.
I do feel that AI is preparing me for graduation, but feel that it could have been a little better. There were some classes that I really felt were worthless and repetitve and honestly boring. But on the flip side I feel that there were many classes that are definitely going to help me after graduation. One of those classes being al a carte. If I could change anything about the cirriculum it would be to add more classes like that. Those are the classes that are going to prepare you for real world incounters and ultimately make you a better chef.
Wow. This is a tough one. Well, honestly not tough but a very direct question. Although, I do feel that I have grown in some areas of my education through specific courses taken at AI, I do not feel that the school has properly prepared me for my major and more specifically I definitely do not feel the education is equal to the cost. My lack of preperation for my field is a direct reflection on the school and if given the chance to do over, I'm confident in my choice to pursue my education at an other institution.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn Korkzan
I feel that AI is properly preparing me for graduation. This is because they are trying to teach us industry standards and industry procedures and using the actual equipment that the industry professionals use. In order to more assist me I think that the school should have more advanced equipment in the sewing labs, like a welt pocket machine and a binding machine. I think that we should not be able to use them until we have learned and mastered how to do it the hard way, but some of those machines are very technical and hard to use. I also feel that in some cases the teachers should be a little harder on us because when we are in the real world and have an industry job it would not be ok for us to turn in work a week late, we would get fired. The teachers should also be more critical of our work in the beginning, instead of always saying that it works because we met the requirements of the assignment. On the other hand I do believe we have quite a work load and that it is not easy to go here and be successful, it stills requires an immense amount of work as it is.
ReplyDeleteI do feel that AI prepares students well for graduation. I love that we have a career services department to help us find jobs. Not many schools have this, and it's one of the reasons I made the decision to come to this school. The only thing I would improve is communication from an academic adviser. Being a web major, my academic adviser quit last quarter. I do have a replacement, but not someone with a web background. I would love to have an adviser with a web background to help prepare me for graduation.
ReplyDeleteYes and no. Yes because we learn things that are very specific to our major and the industry. However I feel as though many of the teachers need to be harder on us & not let us get away with late assignments, etc. Also, teachers to be harder on critiques. All throughout my freshman, sophomore, and junior years I was told my projects were great & this and that, however when Portfolio classes came I had to redo many of my projects because they were not up to par. This was very frustrating.
ReplyDeleteUpon graduation I want to be able to look back and say that I got my moneys worth, however I do not feel I have obtained as much as I feel I should have from my education. I do however feel that it isn't all the schools responsibility to make students aware of what they should do to get jobs, but I feel when applying to those jobs the individual finds the student doesn't have good enough work. The problem of not having enough industry ready work is in my mind the schools fault. A lot of teachers look for quantity and complement of work rather then quality, almost inferring that it is acceptable to have not quality work as log as the required parts are done.
ReplyDeleteTo combat this problem I feel the teachers should be willing to fail more students and or assign less projects and the the time to have stages of correction before the final review.
I believe my graphic design instructors are preparing me specifically for the graphic design aspects of my future career. Although I think some teachers can be too nice when it comes to critiques. The only way we can get better is if we have good constructive criticism. It's also the students responsibility to be open to the criticism. The teacher can only tell us so much and then it takes so initiative and motivation on our part as students to put our knowledge and skills to work. I think what the Art Institute does lack in is offering classes dealing with the business side of our creative careers. I think it's important to have knowledge of this especially if we want to run our own business someday.
ReplyDeleteThis is a tough one to consider. When I first started I didn't realize that hand drawn animation is a dying art and 3D animation has taken it's spot. That's what I came to Art Institute to learn after seeing many Disney movies. After three years I've come to enjoy 3D and my teachers have helped me grow and have prepared me for my future. I wish however that Art Institute had more business related class to help further our education of the business world.
ReplyDeleteI feel like AI is preparing me for graduation and for my future in a way. When I first came to AI, I wasn't knowledgeable about a lot of the industry terms, the designers, how the business works, etc., so I do feel AI has given me a great deal of knowledge in that regard. However, I do feel that in classes we are often off topic and that we waste time in classes that we can be learning something pertinent to us. A start to better preparing us would be more internship availabilities and possibly jobs lined up prior to graduation, rather than telling us when it's time to graduate that they will look for jobs for us then...
ReplyDeleteI feel that AI has prepared me for graduation and for my future. There was a lot I didn't know when I came to AI that I know now, but there is also still a lot I don't know. I've learned a lot of technique while at AI and I feel that is important when it comes time to show your skills to an employer. As a graphic designer, I feel that some of our projects become rather repetitive. We could try to move into something different that is still important for us to be learning.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel that AI is properly preparing you for graduation and your future?
ReplyDeleteWhat do you feel that they could be doing more to assist you?
I feel like AI has prepared me for graduation. I'm sure there is a lot of things that I haven't learned as well. In Fashion and Retail Management, you learn a lot about learning how to build a business. Some of the topics we discuss aren't relevant to what we should be learning. What they can do to assist us is send us internships and job opportunities in Indiana and other states as they are posted. That would help us a lot.
Yes I feel AI has prepared me for my graduation that will be require of me in the future. I also feel I had grown as a student as well as a professional with my skill level. However I feel AI has not provided me with more job opportunities and internship lead that will help me in my future career.
ReplyDelete-Sarah Green
I feel this school lacks in trying to help the professional students. I have struggled to take classes because I need to ask off work to come to class. I work has a designer and lose quite a bit of time while coming to class. There are about four classes that you must wait to take till the end and all are offered only during the day. They were never offered at night. I think that affects those trying to get an early jump on their career.
ReplyDeleteI feel that the fashion classes have prepared me for my future career. The fashion classes cover almost any potential job position in fashion, from construction and pattern making to tech packs and illustrations. I think it would be beneficial if the tuition was lower. The tuition should match the income of degrees, and I feel that the tuition fees are much higher than average fashion design incomes. It can take up to 20 years to pay off student loans, not to mention cost of living, housing, and transportation.
ReplyDeleteI do feel that AI is preparing me for graduation, but feel that it could have been a little better. There were some classes that I really felt were worthless and repetitve and honestly boring. But on the flip side I feel that there were many classes that are definitely going to help me after graduation. One of those classes being al a carte. If I could change anything about the cirriculum it would be to add more classes like that. Those are the classes that are going to prepare you for real world incounters and ultimately make you a better chef.
ReplyDelete