I think some general education courses are beneficial for my major and all majors to be exact. Each course is offering something different and depending on how much time and effort you put into it is basically what you’re going to get out of it or take away from it. I do like how AI tries to relate each GenEd class to each major. Whether that be a final project that relates the 2 or weekly assignments I feel I gained a lot from GenEd courses some more than others but overall I did try and take away some positives and negatives from the course and pertain it to my major and/or current job position. By: Tara Helvey
I feel that some GE classes like Art History was beneficial to me and my major while some classes were a waste of time such as Spanish. Some classes have finals that relate to each students major like with natural Science we had do something with a major in it. But with every GE class I did learn valuable lessons from them.
What they could do for future quarters is have GE classes that are related to the students major. Make GE classes shorter by an hour, with this the student doesn't get tired of going to it.
I think that some of the general education courses are beneficial and complementary and also some that are a complete waste of time. I think that it is nice that AI tries to relate each GenEd to our majors, however I don't feel as though this is always conveyed specifically enough. I think that it would be nice if each course were catered to our majors in smaller groups/classes in order to be more specific with our majors. I also feel as though some of the GenEds could be merged together into one course.
I wouldn't say any course is a complete waste because you can always learn something if you put the effort into it. I do feel that some gen eds were more beneficial to my major than others, but I think they all have something to offer. Any class could have improvements, and students will get something different out of every class depending on their learning style and effort. I for example learn well on a very organized schedule and am more of a visual learner. Therefore, I appreciated gen eds more when they followed this type of structure.
I think general education classes are very important for all students to take. It makes us a more well-rounded individual. In graphic design it's important because we may have to work with a client that we don't know anything about and have some knowledge of general subjects outside of graphic design can help make the process easier for us to understand. I think a lot of instructors at Ai do a great job at not making the gen ed classes too stressful but still meaningful. They try to relate what we're learning to our majors which helps make it seem more worthwhile.
I feel that some of the general education capstone classes are helpful/important, while others weren't really much of a help. Some of the things focused on in some courses are repetitive of what we already have learned. I feel that by having gen ed courses, we are able to meet students from other majors and get to see instructors that differ from our instructors within our major. I also feel that some of the gen ed courses do a great job in preparing us for our future or in helping us with our major. Some instructors go so far as to relate the subjects directly to our major, which makes it seem like taking the class isn't a waste. As with everything else in life, there are ups and downs.
General Education classes show the relevance to why we design certain ways or seek key markets. They are there to increase your passions, help you become more well-rounded, and to help you create educational crosses that will effect your future. They are by no means a waste of time. Education is power whatever it may be.
Do you feel that general education courses have been beneficial and/or a complement to your major courses at AI or a complete waste of time?
What could be done to improve them or are they fine as is?
I think that some of the general education courses have been beneficial because it allows you to work and get to know other students outside of your own major. Networking can be created that way. It's always nice to learn more outside of what you are studying as well so it's a nice change from being with the people within your major all the time.
I feel that some general education courses have been beneficial and complementary as some have been a little less beneficial, however, overall they have been able to give me a broad view on these subjects.
I think it would be very unique if each course was catered to our major in small groups or have a course that has some gen eds combined into one.
When thinking about general education course I feel that have been beneficial to my over all education, by giving me the tools to understand the base information for my graphic design classes. I feel I have used my english and language skills gained from classes such as speech, the knowledge to become a better presenter in presentation classes.
Over all I feel that to help gain more respect in students for these such classes, the idea of relating them more to our fields would be interesting. This concept has already started but I feel not every teacher realizes that relating there class to the schools general theme is important (sadly we as art students have a problem with learning about things we feel don't relate.)
I think that Gen Ed courses have been beneficial to me as well as some of them didn't really benefit me at the same time. Some of the gen ed classes that I've taken tried to relate to my major and it really helped me remain interested in the class. The other classes were almost foreign to me and I couldn't really see it benefiting me in any way shape, or form. On another note, I like that it helped students network with other majors and other instructors that you're not used to seeing.
Since these classes are required, I think they could be improved by trying to have each course relate to each major and try to spark interest within the students.
I feel that general education classes are a great thing. Not only do you get a wide range of education from math to english and speech but you meet and hang out with so many new people. That is the best thing that I have liked thus far. By meeting these new people, it can help you out with networking and finding new and exciting oppurtunitites. I feel that all of the skills that I have learned thus far has really paid off and will continue to pay off.
I feel that General classes are helpful to our majors because it is the foundation of what will help us in the future. Having these general studies will give me a board view as well as knowledge to know about that will help me in my career and my general life overall. I feel general classes are just the reflection of what I already know from previous subjects from the past , but just a review of what I already know. Taking this general course has expanded my understanding as well as knowledge about different subject’s to know.
I believe all classes, GE or not, are beneficial to us. A class might not even be directly related to your major but how can becomming more knowledgable and well rounded hurt anyone? It's important to continue the educational process even when we're not sure of the benefit of something at that specific moment.
Some of the general education courses have been beneficial. I use math in pattern making and dying garments. I use color theory, sociology, and psychology when deciding on the colors and prints that work best for the client I am designing for. Speech class has helped me to be more prepared for presentations and interviews. Some of the classes I don’t find beneficial to my degree are Natural Science, Drawing and Perspective, and Historical and Political Issues. Those classes could have been beneficial to my major however, the topics we went over in the classes I was in, didn’t have anything to do with fashion design.
Some of the general education classes have been benefitial to my education, like Psychology, Sociology, Art History, Historical and Political Issues, Color Theory and English. In all of those I did learn things that will help me to be either more professional or more world wise. But all of those classes I had teachers who could teach the material well. The other Gen. Ed. classes I have taken I have not learned as much as I should have. I feel this was due to the teachers who taught them, the material was not presented in the way it should have been.
I think some general education courses are beneficial for my major and all majors to be exact. Each course is offering something different and depending on how much time and effort you put into it is basically what you’re going to get out of it or take away from it. I do like how AI tries to relate each GenEd class to each major. Whether that be a final project that relates the 2 or weekly assignments I feel I gained a lot from GenEd courses some more than others but overall I did try and take away some positives and negatives from the course and pertain it to my major and/or current job position.
ReplyDeleteBy: Tara Helvey
I feel that some GE classes like Art History was beneficial to me and my major while some classes were a waste of time such as Spanish. Some classes have finals that relate to each students major like with natural Science we had do something with a major in it. But with every GE class I did learn valuable lessons from them.
ReplyDeleteWhat they could do for future quarters is have GE classes that are related to the students major. Make GE classes shorter by an hour, with this the student doesn't get tired of going to it.
I think that some of the general education courses are beneficial and complementary and also some that are a complete waste of time. I think that it is nice that AI tries to relate each GenEd to our majors, however I don't feel as though this is always conveyed specifically enough. I think that it would be nice if each course were catered to our majors in smaller groups/classes in order to be more specific with our majors. I also feel as though some of the GenEds could be merged together into one course.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say any course is a complete waste because you can always learn something if you put the effort into it. I do feel that some gen eds were more beneficial to my major than others, but I think they all have something to offer. Any class could have improvements, and students will get something different out of every class depending on their learning style and effort. I for example learn well on a very organized schedule and am more of a visual learner. Therefore, I appreciated gen eds more when they followed this type of structure.
ReplyDeleteI think general education classes are very important for all students to take. It makes us a more well-rounded individual. In graphic design it's important because we may have to work with a client that we don't know anything about and have some knowledge of general subjects outside of graphic design can help make the process easier for us to understand. I think a lot of instructors at Ai do a great job at not making the gen ed classes too stressful but still meaningful. They try to relate what we're learning to our majors which helps make it seem more worthwhile.
ReplyDeleteI feel that some of the general education capstone classes are helpful/important, while others weren't really much of a help. Some of the things focused on in some courses are repetitive of what we already have learned. I feel that by having gen ed courses, we are able to meet students from other majors and get to see instructors that differ from our instructors within our major. I also feel that some of the gen ed courses do a great job in preparing us for our future or in helping us with our major. Some instructors go so far as to relate the subjects directly to our major, which makes it seem like taking the class isn't a waste. As with everything else in life, there are ups and downs.
ReplyDeleteGeneral Education classes show the relevance to why we design certain ways or seek key markets. They are there to increase your passions, help you become more well-rounded, and to help you create educational crosses that will effect your future. They are by no means a waste of time. Education is power whatever it may be.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel that general education courses have been beneficial and/or a complement to your major courses at AI or a complete waste of time?
ReplyDeleteWhat could be done to improve them or are they fine as is?
I think that some of the general education courses have been beneficial because it allows you to work and get to know other students outside of your own major. Networking can be created that way. It's always nice to learn more outside of what you are studying as well so it's a nice change from being with the people within your major all the time.
I feel that some general education courses have been beneficial and complementary as some have been a little less beneficial, however, overall they have been able to give me a broad view on these subjects.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be very unique if each course was catered to our major in small groups or have a course that has some gen eds combined into one.
When thinking about general education course I feel that have been beneficial to my over all education, by giving me the tools to understand the base information for my graphic design classes. I feel I have used my english and language skills gained from classes such as speech, the knowledge to become a better presenter in presentation classes.
ReplyDeleteOver all I feel that to help gain more respect in students for these such classes, the idea of relating them more to our fields would be interesting. This concept has already started but I feel not every teacher realizes that relating there class to the schools general theme is important (sadly we as art students have a problem with learning about things we feel don't relate.)
I think that Gen Ed courses have been beneficial to me as well as some of them didn't really benefit me at the same time. Some of the gen ed classes that I've taken tried to relate to my major and it really helped me remain interested in the class. The other classes were almost foreign to me and I couldn't really see it benefiting me in any way shape, or form. On another note, I like that it helped students network with other majors and other instructors that you're not used to seeing.
ReplyDeleteSince these classes are required, I think they could be improved by trying to have each course relate to each major and try to spark interest within the students.
-Chelsea Bonnoront
I feel that general education classes are a great thing. Not only do you get a wide range of education from math to english and speech but you meet and hang out with so many new people. That is the best thing that I have liked thus far. By meeting these new people, it can help you out with networking and finding new and exciting oppurtunitites. I feel that all of the skills that I have learned thus far has really paid off and will continue to pay off.
ReplyDeleteI feel that General classes are helpful to our majors because it is the foundation of what will help us in the future. Having these general studies will give me a board view as well as knowledge to know about that will help me in my career and my general life overall. I feel general classes are just the reflection of what I already know from previous subjects from the past , but just a review of what I already know. Taking this general course has expanded my understanding as well as knowledge about different subject’s to know.
ReplyDelete- Sarah Green
I believe all classes, GE or not, are beneficial to us. A class might not even be directly related to your major but how can becomming more knowledgable and well rounded hurt anyone? It's important to continue the educational process even when we're not sure of the benefit of something at that specific moment.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn Korkzan
Some of the general education courses have been beneficial. I use math in pattern making and dying garments. I use color theory, sociology, and psychology when deciding on the colors and prints that work best for the client I am designing for. Speech class has helped me to be more prepared for presentations and interviews. Some of the classes I don’t find beneficial to my degree are Natural Science, Drawing and Perspective, and Historical and Political Issues. Those classes could have been beneficial to my major however, the topics we went over in the classes I was in, didn’t have anything to do with fashion design.
ReplyDeleteSome of the general education classes have been benefitial to my education, like Psychology, Sociology, Art History, Historical and Political Issues, Color Theory and English. In all of those I did learn things that will help me to be either more professional or more world wise. But all of those classes I had teachers who could teach the material well. The other Gen. Ed. classes I have taken I have not learned as much as I should have. I feel this was due to the teachers who taught them, the material was not presented in the way it should have been.
ReplyDelete